Tuesday, November 17, 2015

25 Questions - TRM Blog Hop

TRM Blog Hop: 25 Questions

Since I havent ridden since returning, I am happy to have some content!! So thank you for the 25 Questions Blog Hop!

1. Mares or Geldings? Why? I always thought I was a gelding person when I got my first horse Mac. When I had to retire him and horse hunt, I was adamant I wanted a gelding BUT was also open to mares if they had a good brain. Well a gelding was not in the cards for me and Tillie landed on my lap...Now I am quite smitten with how smart and quick she is. 

Mac took great care of me for both of our 2nd time trying cross country schooling. 
Tillie just after arriving...she was so much calmer when she was 4yrs old.

2. Green-broke or fully broke? Tillie was and still kinda is green-broke. If I could afford a fully broke horse to take me up the levels to learn I totally would have done that first. There is something really cool about learning together though when things finally click. You can say we did that together! 

3. Would you own a "hotter" breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc)? YES!!! Miss Tillie is pretty darn hot. ;) pun intended. 

Tillie says "lets go fast and jump all the things"


4. What was your "dream horse" growing up? A black gelding that could gallop and jump the moon. Like Cobalt in the saddle club. 

5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why? I have used sooo many, but currently ride in a HS shaped snaffle and for jumping, a slow twist. Both are mild, and what my horse is happiest in. Prior to that I used mullens which I love because its the softest thing you can use!
Throw back to when we competed in a rubber mullen for all 3 phases. If only we could get back to that....

6. Helmets or no helmets? Helmets. #mindyourmelon

7. Favorite horse color? Hmmm...it tends to evolve and I really try to look at the horse itself rather then color.  If I had to pick probably a really dark bay that is almost black.

8. Least favorite horse color? Definitely lighter grays or white horses with pink...I love dark gray (but they eventually lighten as they age which is so sad) and white horses with dark noses better. Lol yes I am that specific.

See I had a gray at one point...cute despite this interesting clip. Just throwing it out there that I did not do it! 

9. Dressage or jumping?
BOTH! I have had a green horse really needing the dressage aspect to help her jumping and it has made me appreciate it that much more. 

10. How many years have you been riding?
I sat on my first horse when I was a toddler...started lessons in 6th grade (western!). Switched to english by 8th grade. Took a bit of a hiatus in high school and college but have started back up about 6 years ago. 

SOOO much wrong with this picture. But me on my first childhood horse owned by my parents.
11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip? Depends on the day/horse - but I prefer to have them on and not use them rather then not have them on and need them though I tend to only ride with a whip out XC with my horse.

12. Your first fall? The first one I can remember...off my childhood horse when attempting to jump hay bales and he decided eating them was more fun then jumping. I landed right on my bum on top the hay! 

13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do? My last ride was at Loch Moy's starter trials earlier this month. 

At Loch Moy's ST earlier this month

14. Most expensive piece of tack you own? Definitely my saddles...more specifically my studden. 


15. How old were you when you started riding? consistently riding, 11

16. Leather or nylon halters?
Leather

17. Leather or synthetic saddles?
Definitely Leather. I can not stand synthetic. 

18. What "grip" of reins do you like? Thinline reins!!! So sort of like rubber, but softer and less abrasive. 

19. English or Western?
 English

20. How many horses do you currently own/lease? One. That is enough for me. 

Tillie showing me just how athletic she is. 


21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?
 Board.

22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
Not one that I owned myself no, but I have experienced putting horses down I loved despite not being mine (most were lesson horses that I had close relationships with from teaching and seeing them everyday). 

RIP Milagro


23. How many saddle pads do you have? not enough

24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
I own a straight haul, but I think my mare would prefer a slant.

25. Why do you ride? Because I am a glutton for punishment apparently. 


5 comments:

  1. Riders really are gluttons for punishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! Very nice answers - we certainly are gluttons for punishment.

    Thank you for participating. I'll add you to the links :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers! I want your dream horse!

    ReplyDelete